Company set to open its first Atlantic Canada location at Avalon Mall in St. John’s
Cineplex has announced plans to build a new location of The Rec Room at Avalon Mall in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador. The country’s newest hot-spot for ‘Eats and Entertainment,’ The Rec Room brings together incredible dining experiences with exciting live entertainment and amusement gaming experiences, all under one roof. Scheduled to open in early 2019, the nearly 30,000 square foot dining and entertainment complex will be The Rec Room’s seventh location in Canada and the first to open in Atlantic Canada.
“While this new entertainment destination will be adjacent to our Scotiabank Theatre St. John’s, the success of The Rec Room in other Canadian markets proves that Cineplex is about much more than just movies,” said Ellis Jacob, President and CEO at Cineplex. “We are leveraging our industry-leading entertainment, amusement gaming, food & beverage, digital media and operational capabilities to bring an entirely new, technology-enhanced experience to the community. You’re going to love it, St. John’s.”
Located at the north side of the shopping centre with access from the corner of Prince Philip Dr. and Kenmount Rd., The Rec Room at Avalon Mall will be popular with young adults and families, while also serving as the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events and parties. Built with the support of Crombie REIT as part of its multi-million dollar redevelopment project, the new location will include:
- The best in Canadian-inspired cuisine at The Rec Room’s upscale casual dining restaurant as well as its ‘eatertainment-style’ dining options in the games area
- A massive attractions area where social-seekers can play over 90 amusement games. Credits earned are tracked on RFID wristbands and can be redeemed at a redemption store for fun prizes
- Classic favourites like air hockey, pool and ping pong as well as large feature attractions, that could include experiences like virtual reality, luxury bowling and axe throwing
- A bar area where sports fans can grab a drink and catch the game on huge HD screens
- A guest experience that integrates the latest in technology and gamification coupled with SCENE, Canada’s leading entertainment rewards program
- A performance space that’s ideal for hosting live entertainment such as musical and comedy acts
- Multiple private dining rooms that will make it the ultimate gathering spot for celebrations, meetings, corporate events and parties
“We’re thrilled to welcome The Rec Room to Avalon Mall,” said Don Clow, President and CEO for Crombie REIT. “Their model of combining dining with entertainment and gamification complements the elevated visitor experience that we are creating at Avalon Mall through our redevelopment program. This exciting new space will provide fun experiences and will continue to enhance the opportunities to shop and play at Avalon Mall for years to come.”
Cineplex plans to open 10-15 new locations of The Rec Room over the coming years, each ranging in size from 30,000-50,000 square feet and customized to the individual community. The massive, often two-storey entertainment complexes will see half of the space being devoted to dining and live entertainment and the other half being devoted to amusement games and feature attractions. In addition to the St. John’s location opening in 2019, Cineplex currently operates four other locations of The Rec Room in South Edmonton (AB), West Edmonton Mall (AB), Calgary (AB) and Toronto (ON), and has announced plans for complexes in London (ON), Mississauga (ON) and Vancouver (BC).
About The Rec Room
The Rec Room is Canada’s premier ‘Eats & Entertainment’ destination that brings together incredible dining, amusement gaming, technology and live entertainment experiences all under one roof. Part of Cineplex, The Rec Room is a premier social destination and the ultimate gathering spot for corporate events, groups and parties. While each location is customized to the individual community, The Rec Room concept features multiple dining environments and a wide range of entertainment options including a large amusement games area featuring state-of-the-art simulation, feature attractions and redemption games as well as an auditorium-style space perfect for musical acts, bands and comedians. For more information, visit TheRecRoom.com or follow the action on social media through Facebook (TheRecRoomCA), Twitter (@TheRecRoomCA), Snapchat (@TheRecRoomCA) and Instagram (@TheRecRoomCA).