By Lizzy Freier
In our first edition of Concept Watch of 2021, RestoBiz and Technomic highlight three standout restaurant concepts on show in Canadian foodservice.
This month, the focus is on Knockout Chicken, Tiffin India’s Fresh Kitchen, and Nemesis Coffee Studio. Here’s a look at the characteristics and menu offerings that make these restaurants unique.
Facebook: 976 likes | Instagram: 27,600 followers
Locations: 2 (Toronto)
Knockout Chicken’s made-to-order chicken sandwiches feature toppings such as curry habanero sauce and housemade coleslaw.
- Family-friendly chicken shop
- Emphasizes superior service and a family-friendly setting
- Dine-in, takeout, and delivery services
- Indoor and patio seating
- Menu highlights high-quality, locally sourced ingredients
- Focus on fried chicken, chicken sandwiches, and chicken wings
- Grilled beef and vegetarian burgers offer chicken alternative
- Fresh-cut fries, poutine, housemade coleslaw, and milkshakes round out the menu
Facebook: 1,399 likes | Instagram: 3,444 followers | Twitter: 787 followers
Locations: 3 (Edmonton)
Tiffin India’s Fresh Kitchen’s The Adventurer Tiffin features hakka noodles, South Indian chicken, goat curry, and basa coconut curry.
- Fast-casual, chef-driven Indian cuisine concept
- “Tiffin” is an Indian English word for a type of meal, typically a lighter tea-time meal
- Catering and delivery available
- Offers franchising opportunities
- Chef-created and build-your-own Indian plates
- Options include rice or noodles with a variety of meats and veggies
- Offers vegetarian and family-style selections
- Wide variety of chai beverages, as well as Indian sodas and desserts
Facebook: 1,137 likes | Instagram: 16,600 followers
Locations: 2 (Vancouver)
Pour-over coffees promote the Nemesis Coffee brand’s coffee culture.
- Quick-service coffee shops focused on promoting a coffee culture
- In-store seating and visible coffee preparation at the counter
- Brunch served until 3 pm.
- Highlights local arts and culture, including events with DJs spinning records
- Housemade preparations and artisanal, local, and seasonal ingredients
- Batch brew and pour-over coffees from a rotating selection of international roasters
- Espresso, Americano, macchiato, cappuccino, flat white, mocha, and hot or iced latte
- Food selection: breakfast sandwiches, artisan toasts, croque monsieur and pastries
Concept Watch is based on restaurant and menu trends noted by Technomic Inc.
Lizzy Freier is Senior Managing Editor for Technomic, a Chicago-based foodservice research and consulting firm. Technomic provides clients with the facts, insights and consulting support they need to enhance their business strategies, decisions and results. The company’s services include publications and digital products as well as proprietary studies and ongoing research on all aspects of the food industry, including menu trends.