The Canadian government revealed the final list of American products, which includes several prepared food products, that will be subject to a surtax starting July 1st. The tariffs are being imposed in response to tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium that the American Department of Commerce imposed last month at the behest of President Donald Trump, who cited national security concerns.
The list of goods amounts to $16.6 billion in annual trade, a “dollar for dollar” match to the economic impact of American tariffs. Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland, who announced the final list in front of a group of steelworkers in Hamilton, reiterated the Canadian government’s position that its tariffs are a reluctant and necessary response to what it views as an unwarranted attack on the Canadian economy.
“Canada has been quite intentionally measured and restrained in its response,” said Freeland.
“We will not escalate, but we will not back down.”
It is unclear how the Canadian government will respond should additional tariffs be imposed on Canadian goods.
While goods intended for industrial manufacturing were hit hardest, with a 25 per cent surtax, prepared foodstuffs and beverages, including ketchup, orange juice and whisky, will face a 10 per cent surtax. The affected food products are listed below, while the complete list of affected goods can be found here.
- Yogourt: Within access commitment
- Yogourt: Over access commitment
- Coffee, roasted: Not decaffeinated
- Prepared meals: Of spent fowl; Specially defined mixtures
- Other: Specially defined mixtures, other than in cans or glass jars; Spent fowl other than in cans or glass jars
- Of bovine animals: Prepared meals
- Of bovine animals: Other
- Maple sugar and maple syrup
- Liquorice candy; Toffee
- Other sugar confectionary
- Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Filled
- Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Not filled
- Pizza and quiche
- Cucumbers and gherkins
- Strawberry jam
- Orange juice: Not frozen, of a Brix value not exceeding 20
- Soya sauce
- Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces: Tomato ketchup
- Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces: Other
- Mayonnaise and salad dressing
- Mixed condiments and mixed seasonings
- Other sauces
- Soups and broths and preparations therefor
- Waters, including mineral waters and aerated waters, containing added sugar or other sweetening matter or flavoured