Technomic recently released its annual State of the Canadian Menu 2022 report, highlighting growing ingredients, dishes, drinks, and flavours on menus across the country as well as trend predictions for this year.
With pandemic-driven challenges continuing in 2021, operators adopted new strategies and found fresh solutions to these challenges. Looking at the past year in review is essential to see what trends are influencing the foodservice industry, especially with the impact the pandemic has had on
With insights derived from data and analysis, the recommended actions and insights in this report can help industry professionals leverage these trends and key themes throughout 2022.
Among the menu report’s key conclusions were that:
- Chicken quesadillas are the fastest-growing entree type on limited-service restaurant lunch/dinner menus, up 81.8 per cent year over year.
- Plant-based cheese is the fastest-growing ingredient on limited-service restaurant lunch/dinner menus, at 70.6 per cent YOY growth.
- Vegetarian is the fastest-growing healthy claim on limited-service breakfast menus, up 31.8 per cent YOY.
- Turkish is the fastest-growing global flavour on limited-service lunch/dinner menus, with 43.5 per cent YOY growth.
- Belgian waffle/waffle is the fastest-growing dish on full-service
breakfast menus, with 15.9 per cent YOY growth.
- Pierogis are the fastest-growing ingredient on full-service restaurant
lunch/dinner menus, up 56.3 per cent YOY.
- Au gratin is the fastest-growing preparation on full-service restaurant breakfast menus, at 200 per cent YOY growth.
- Tofu is the fastest-growing protein on full-service lunch/dinner menus,
up 17.1 per cent YOY.