This is your opportunity to learn the art of using salt to enhance cooking, as well as to experience the diverse culinary scene in and around Niagara Falls, Ontario. The 5-day exchange will take place in July 2019 (tentatively July 8 to 12, 2019) and will feature food preparation using techniques including pickling, curing/preserving, salt sculptures, hands-on charcuterie workshops, a tour of a Windsor Salt processing facility and much more.
The Culinary Exchange is open to all current Young Chef Culinary Federation members. From all applications received, 12 will be chosen from across Canada to participate (4 from Western Region, 4 from Central Region, 4 from Eastern Region). All costs associated with travel, accommodations, food and events will be paid by exclusive partner Windsor Salt, along with the Culinary Federation and other approved partners (to be finalized).
In addition, Windsor Salt believes that education is an essential ingredient in thriving communities, and that everyone should have access to high-quality learning opportunities. As part of that commitment, Windsor Salt will provide a $2,000 bursary/ scholarship / education fund for each of the Culinary Exchange participants ($24,000 in total).
• Submit (on a USB) a 2-minute video detailing the following:
• General Information about you – where you are from, why you chose a culinary career,
past culinary experiences – BE CREATIVE & MEMORABLE, THIS WILL BE YOUR
OPPORTUNITY TO STAND-OUT!
• What interests you about this exchange program
• Why you are a suitable candidate to represent your CF branch and province
• How will the exchange relate to your career and/or academic goals
• Recipes for a three-course menu:
• Appetizer must include a cured item
• Main Course must include a salt crust technique
• Dessert must include a salty component
• Please include a photo of at least one dish
• Two letters of recommendation from an adult mentor, coach or instructor familiar with your
work and capabilities
• One letter from your current employer (if applicable) or culinary instructor confirming your ability
to secure time off for the 5 day exchange and that your position is guaranteed upon your return
• Emergency Contact Information Form (attached)
In the interest of fairness, no emails, scanned copies or faxes will be accepted – applications will be accepted by regular Canada Post mail only. Please make provisions for shipping time (min. 1 week) Applications will be accepted by the selection committee on a first come, first serve basis with a final deadline of receipt (NOT postmark date) of Friday, April 5th, 2019.
The selection committee will announce the winning candidates on Friday, April 19th, 2019 followed by a public announcement on the CF National website and social media by Friday, May 3rd, 2019. Completed applications should be mailed to:
WINDSOR SALT NATIONAL CULINARY EXCHANGE
c/o STEP IN MARKETING & EVENT SOLUTIONS
ATTN: Sue Mercer
240 Joicey Boulevard
Any questions, please contact: